NYS Joint Legislative Budget Hearing – Human Services: February 5, 2013
Gabrielle Horowitz-Prisco, director of the Juvenile Justice Project, testified before the New York State Legislature on the Governor’s proposed budget for 2013-2014.
In her testimony, Horowitz-Prisco urges legislators to:
- end New York’s shameful practice of prosecuting children in adult courts and housing children in adult jails and prisons;
- expand the Close to Home initiative to upstate counties;
- require counties to submit plans to the state and public demonstrating how they would effectively serve youth impacted by the Close to Home initiative before the transfer of “jurisdiction, funds and actual living children.”
- publicly release data about the well-being of children in government custody, and develop mechanisms for independent, external oversight for youth in the state’s care; and,
- legislators to amend proposed budget language which opens the door to privatization of New York’s youth justice facilities.
Correctional Association of New York releases “Solitary at Southport: A 2017 Report Based Upon the Correctional Assn.’s Visits, Data Analysis, & First-Hand Accounts of the Torture of Solitary Confinement from One of New York’s Supermax Prisons”
New York, NY (December 13, 2017): Today The Correctional Assn. of NY (CA), founded in 1844 and one of the oldest prison watchdog organizations in the country, released a 92-page report providing graphic first-hand depictions of physical, mental, and emotional abuse as a result of days, weeks, and often years of being caged in solitary confinement for 23 to 24 hours a day.Read More
Southport Correctional Facility is one of two super-maximum security prisons in the state that places an emphasis on solitary confinement. A new report looking at the facility’s practices is highlighting the negative impact solitary confinement can have on a human. So advocates are making a renewed push for the HALT Act. Joining us to talk [...]Read More
“Solitary at Southport: A 2017 Report Based Upon the Correctional Association’s Visits, Data Analysis, & First-Hand Accounts of the Torture of Solitary Confinement from One of New York’s Supermax Prisons”
“The isolation itself is torture. Mentally and emotionally, it breaks you down. Spiritually it strips you. The way it is built is to break you down as a person and push your family away.” From “Solitary at Southport” Solitary confinement is torture. New York State subjects people to solitary confinement and other forms of isolation [...]Read More
Prison Monitoring Reports
Attica Correctional Facility, a 2,000-bed maximum security prison in western New York, continues to operate as a symbolic and real epicenter of state violence and abuse of incarcerated persons in the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) state prison system 43 years after the 1971 prison uprising and violent suppression by state authorities. The [...]Read More