NYS Joint Legislative Budget Hearing – Human Services: February 5, 2013
Gabrielle Horowitz-Prisco, director of the Juvenile Justice Project, testified before the New York State Legislature on the Governor’s proposed budget for 2013-2014.
In her testimony, Horowitz-Prisco urges legislators to:
- end New York’s shameful practice of prosecuting children in adult courts and housing children in adult jails and prisons;
- expand the Close to Home initiative to upstate counties;
- require counties to submit plans to the state and public demonstrating how they would effectively serve youth impacted by the Close to Home initiative before the transfer of “jurisdiction, funds and actual living children.”
- publicly release data about the well-being of children in government custody, and develop mechanisms for independent, external oversight for youth in the state’s care; and,
- legislators to amend proposed budget language which opens the door to privatization of New York’s youth justice facilities.
( Sept. 9. 2018,The Guardian) Inmates within America’s overflowing prisons are marking the end of a 19-day national prison strike on Sunday with a new push to regain the vote for up to 6 million Americans who have been stripped of their democratic rights.Read More
Staten Islanders had the opportunity Thursday night to briefly experience one of the hardest parts of our nation’s penal system. A group of advocates brought a makeshift solitary cell to the South Shore YMCA in Eltingville to show people the level of isolation inmates can face. The model was constructed by Doug Van Zandt, of [...]Read More
Reports & Research
“Solitary at Southport: A 2017 Report Based Upon the Correctional Association’s Visits, Data Analysis, & First-Hand Accounts of the Torture of Solitary Confinement from One of New York’s Supermax Prisons”
“The isolation itself is torture. Mentally and emotionally, it breaks you down. Spiritually it strips you. The way it is built is to break you down as a person and push your family away.” From “Solitary at Southport” Solitary confinement is torture. New York State subjects people to solitary confinement and other forms of isolation [...]Read More
Prison Monitoring Reports
Attica Correctional Facility, a 2,000-bed maximum security prison in western New York, continues to operate as a symbolic and real epicenter of state violence and abuse of incarcerated persons in the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) state prison system 43 years after the 1971 prison uprising and violent suppression by state authorities. The [...]Read More