Founded in 1844, the Correctional Association of New York (the CA) is an independent non-profit organization that advocates for a more humane and effective criminal justice system and a more just and equitable society.
We are seeking an intern to work in the Communications Department to assist with the CA’s media and online advocacy work. The Communications intern will report to the Director of Communications.
This is an opportunity to work with a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to fundamentally shifting the discourse around the criminal legal system. There is a potential opportunity to participate in a prison monitoring visit sometime during the internship. The position is available immediately.
The Communications Intern will:
- Research new online platforms and ways to expand CA’s online presence
- Research online media opportunities
- Archive CA press coverage
- Assist in organizing media lists
- Help maintain and update various CA social media platforms
- Monitor and maintain Google Ads campaigns
- Other admin duties as assigned
The Communications intern must:
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have experience using social media – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube
- Have experience with WordPress or other blog posting platforms
- Be familiar with online campaign tools
- Be available 15-20 hours a week
- Knowledge of video editing software a plus
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and Ad Campaigns a plus
- Experience with Hootsuite a plus
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice, preferably on criminal justice reform issues
- Prior experience working for a non-profit and/or community-based organization
- The ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- A general excitement to learn new skills
- The ability to be a team player who can also work independently
- A kind and compassionate heart and a sense of humor
This internship can potentially come with a stipend.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rotating application process according to organizational needs.
THE CA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS WOMEN, PEOPLE OF COLOR, PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, LGBTQI AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE. PEOPLE WHO ARE FORMERLY INCARCERATED ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.