Coordinated by the CA’s Juvenile Justice Project, the Juvenile Justice Coalition (JJC) is a professional network of child advocacy groups, legal service providers, alternative sentencing programs, and community-based organizations working together to make the youth justice system in New York more fair, humane and effective.
The Juvenile Justice Coalition has the following goals:
- Decrease the number of New York youth going to jails and prisons;
- Reduce the disproportionate incarceration of youth of color;
- Ensure the legal rights of all court-involved youth;
- Improve outcomes for young people confined in youth justice institutions;
- Promote a positive youth development approach to youth justice.
A Steering Committee of representatives from member organizations sets JJC’s policy agenda and directs the group’s advocacy efforts. In addition to the Steering Committee, JJC is comprised of the following working groups that focus on key youth justice issues:
- Conditions of Confinement: This work group is tasked with advocating for safer and better conditions inside detention and incarceration facilities for youth. We work to ensure that harms to youth inside facilities do not remain unaddressed, and that best practices are followed.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth in the Juvenile Justice System in the Justice System: This work group advocates for the needs of LGBTQ youth in the justice system including ensuring that appropriate anti-discrimination policies and guidelines are in place, that LGBTQ youth are not disproportionately impacted by the system, and that LGBTQ culturally-competent practices are in place.
Membership in the Coalition is free and open to all interested individuals. For more information or to get involved in the Coalition’s general work or the Conditions of Confinement work group please contact Gabrielle Prisco at 212-254-5700, ext. 315 or gprisco[at]correctionalassociation.org. To get involved in the Coalition’s work on behalf of LGBTQ youth, please contact Judy Yu at 212-254-5700, ext. 312 or jyu[at]correctionalassociation.org.